Chapter One


1:1

The words of the Preacher, the son of David, king in Jerusalem:
1:2

“Vanity of vanities,” saith the Preacher, “Vanity of vanities. All is vanity.”


1:3

What profit has a man for all his labors under the sun?
1:4

One generation passes away and another generation comes,

but the earth abides forever.


1:5

The sun also rises and the sun goes down,
and hastens to the place from whence it arose.
1:6

The wind goes toward the south and turns about to the north.
It whirls continually, and returns again according to its circuits.

1:7

All the rivers run into the sea, yet the sea is not full.
Unto the place from whence rivers come, there they again return.


1:8

Everything is wearisome beyond description.

The eye cannot be satisfied by seeing.
The ear cannot be filled with hearing.
1:9

That which has been, is that which shall be.

That which is done, is that which shall be done.

There is nothing new under the sun.


1:10

Is there anything of which it can be said, “See, this is new”?

Anything that has not already been in the ages before us?

1:11

There is no remembrance of things past.
Neither shall there be any remembrance of things today

by those who live after us.


1:12

I, the Preacher, was king over Israel in Jerusalem.
1:13

With all my heart and wisdom, I applied myself
to searching out the truth of all things that are done under heaven.
God has given this sore travail to the sons of man to keep them occupied.


1:14

I have seen all the works that are done under the sun,

and behold, all is vanity and vexation of spirit.
1:15

That which is crooked cannot be made straight.
That which is not there cannot be numbered.


1:16

I communed with my heart, saying, “Lo, I have come to great estate,
and have gained more wisdom than all who ruled before me in Jerusalem.

Yea, my heart has absorbed great wisdom and knowledge.”


1:17

I gave over my heart to know wisdom, and to know madness and folly.

And I perceived that this also is vexation of spirit.
1:18

For in much wisdom is much grief,
and he who increases his knowledge, increases his sorrow.